- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons half-n-half or whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed for 45 seconds.
- Add melted butter, whipping cream or half-n-half and almond extract; beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add flour and salt and beat until smooth.
- Drop batter onto baking sheet lined with a Silpat, non-stick baking sheet. Using the back of a spoon, spread batter into circles (3-6 inches in diameter - depending how large you want the finished cookie).
- Only put 4 cookies on each sheet to give you time to fold them before they harden.
- Bake until cookies start to brown along the edges - 6-9 minutes, depending on size of cookie. Watch them closely as they will burn quickly.
- Remove from the oven and use an offset spatula to loosen the edges of the cookie.
- Fold each cookie in half, into a loose semi-circle and leave openings on each side of the cookie; pinch cookie at the top to seal. Insert fingers into the openings and fold open sides together, forming a fortune cookie shape.
- Work quickly. Repeat with remaining batter.